Mood disorder not otherwise specified is very alarmingly widespread. According to the latest evidences, over 400 million people worldwide suffer from severe depression, a condition characterized by an overwhelming sadness and loss of satisfaction in daily activities. It is estimated that in the next 30 years the number of depression cases will only be exceeded by the one of cardiovascular cases. No wonder that mood disorder has been called the common cold of mental illness. In the latest period, mood disorder not otherwise specified has been given a lot of attention. Some symptoms of this disease are radical changes of mood, when the individual switches easily from depression to mania. During a depressive phase, the person may be haunted by suicide thoughts. In the manic phase, however, it may darken your judgement and you can no longer realize the consequences of your actions.
Mood disorder not otherwise specified can be controlled. Mood disorder treatment is very complex and it includes both drug consumption and psychotherapy approach. These two methods of intervention are not mutually exclusive and they are actually complementing each other. One side, psychotherapy accelerates the healing process and it takes action where and when drugs fail to reach. It is well known that any mood disorder medication need time in order to apply its effects, between three and five weeks, to reach its maximum effectiveness. This is the reason why psychotherapy sessions provide great value at the treatment start.
On the other side, it was revealed that nearly half of the patients suffering of mood disorder abandon the treatment or they perform it inconsistently once their mental state starts to improve. Psychotherapy has a special gift – it creates a therapeutic alliance in order to diminish the isolation feeling and the patient sense that its suffering cannot be understood by other, so it will enhance its communication capacity with the world. This is the reason why it provides a better compliance to treatment and the patient starts becoming aware that the early abandonment of the medication is associated with a potential recurrence of the disease.
These days therapists benefit by a wide range of options when it comes to mood disorder not otherwise specified treatment. Developed since the ’50s, mood disorder drugs passed through several generations of medications and have been developed increasingly effective and better tolerated by patients. When you have to choose the medication, the psychiatrist considers a particular type of it depending of your symptoms and the age, other associated diseases, medicinal cures and lifestyle as well. But no drug comes without side effects and the individual having mood disorder should be aware that sometimes it takes perseverance to overcome the initial difficult period of the treatment and that always it has to balance the benefits of the treatment with its unpleasant effects (which in most cases will be transient and insignificant).
Mood disorder not otherwise specified using psychotherapy
- The supportive therapy that aims to support the patient’s emotional aspects which reviews his real problems and its reaction to the problems. Using this type of therapy the patient will be helped to solve the problems and if they cannot be solved he will be taught to detach from them.
- The cognitive therapy is applied in mild or moderate mood disorder not otherwise specified treatment. This is used in order to change the cognitive distortions that may occur in the patient’s mind and which are considered to be responsible for mood disorders usually. The individual is taught how to correctly identify and understand the problems and the psychotherapist helps in restoration of cognitive schemes which are appropriate to the patient personality.
- The psychoanalytic therapy is performed with a more active intervention of the therapist. The aim of this method is to help the patient understand the discharges, the motivations and to improve its defense mechanism.
In mood disorder not otherwise specified family plays a key role as well. Last but not least, the friends and the family of the patient with this affection have a very important role in its recovery. If you wish to help a patient you must keep in mind the following aspects:
- Mood disorder is not a character flaw and it is not present due to a lack of power; mood disorder is a disease.
- You need to show concert, but not an excessive one which can inhibit more the patient
- The patients need affection, but no mercy
- Physical activity has a beneficial role in improving general health, do not hesitate to encourage the patient do it
- Small positive changes noticed and communicated to the patient will have a beneficial effect and it will accelerate the change
- The patient suffering of mood disorder not otherwise specified should be constantly encouraged that its condition is reversible and that the disease can cure
As you can notice the mood disorder not otherwise specified treatment is a complex process to which equally the patient, the psychotherapist and the family participate. The success depends on a good communication between these parties. In order to diagnose correctly the mood disorder not otherwise specified a specialist advice is required, the psychiatrist being able to determine the severity of the disorder and to recommend the appropriate treatment for your specific mood disorder, which can be treated either with medication accompanied by psychotherapy or, as appropriate, only with psychotherapy. Please consider that the above treatment methods are only provided as a general information purpose and they cannot be applied before you pay a visit to a doctor.
If you want to get rid of your mood disorder or if you want to help someone to get rid of it, please do not follow strictly the above treatment solutions. Pay a visit to a doctor because he is the right person that can advise you depending on the symptoms you have.